H.M. Saint Raphael
It’s located at the N.E. of the island at a distance of 3 km from Thermi’s residences. The present monastery was built in the place of the Early Christian basilica, the remains of which are in the area (chronographs, red floor, the image of Pantokratoras (14th century) etc.).
In its monastic life, we can see three periods: (a) from the 10th century to 1235, (b) from 1433 to 1463 – the year of its destruction by the Turks, the last abbot of St. Raphael, and (c) from 1962 until today.
It is a women’s monastery, which was erected and operated in honour of Saint Raphael. It is one of the most important pilgrimages of the island, which contributes significantly to the economic prosperity of the wider region.