H.M. Saint Raphael
It’s located at the N.E. of the island at a distance of 3 km from Thermi’s residences. The present monastery was built in the place of the Early Christian basilica, the remains of which are in the area (chronographs, red floor, the image of Pantokratoras (14th century) etc.).

In its monastic life, we can see three periods: (a) from the 10th century to 1235, (b) from 1433 to 1463 – the year of its destruction by the Turks, the last abbot of St. Raphael, and (c) from 1962 until today.

It is a women’s monastery, which was erected and operated in honour of Saint Raphael. It is one of the most important pilgrimages of the island, which contributes significantly to the economic prosperity of the wider region.

H.M. Taxiarch Michael.Μ. Taxiarch Michael

It is a Byzantine monastery that was probably deserted by the siege of the island by the Turks (1462), while the monastery church was rebuilt from underground in 1879.

Among the old icons of the Temple and the precious ecclesiastical objects is the icon of Byzantine technical skills, which according to tradition is depicted by the clay and blood of the slaughtered monks during the destruction of the monastery by the Turks.

H.Μ. Limonos – Saint Ignatius
It is built in the centre of the island at a distance of 3km north-west of the town of Kalloni. Its Katholikon is dedicated to the Pammegistus Taxiarchs.

It was built in 1523 by the Metropolitan of Mithymna Ignatius Agalianos, whose name is honoured today, while during the Ottoman rule it was the only spiritual centre of the island.

The Katholikon is an imposing temple of the three-aisled basilica with a wood-carved gilded iconostasis and frescoes of the 1830s. It has a rich library and a Museum of Ecclesiastical Art and Geological Museum (1990).

H.Μ. Mary Myrsiniotissa
It’s close and dependent to H.M of Limonos, there is the Byzantine temple of Moni, which was reconstructed in 1523 in honour of the Sleeping of the Virgin Mary.

Inside, there are invaluable icons, an old wooden carved icon screen and important wall paintings.

H.Μ. Perivolis
It is located in the north-west. Of the island and 3 km from the town of Antissa.

It is a women’s monastery of a Byzantine style, dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary, which was reconstructed during the Ottoman rule (1630). Interesting are the icons of the wood-carved Iconostasis and the wall paintings (16th century).

H.Μ. Pithariou
It is located in N.E. Of the town of Eressos (3km). It is dedicated to the Taxiarches and its foundation is estimated in the medieval times.

It is a Byzantine monastery with priceless icons, ecclesiastical utensils and wall paintings

H.Μ. Ypsilou
Built on the top of the rocky mount ‘Ordimnos’, between’ Antissa and Sigri, it is dedicated to Saint John the Theologian.

The election of the position he possesses testifies to his Medieval origin (around 800 AD). The Katholikon is distinguished for its icon-paintings while at the same time preserving invaluable ecclesiastical objects.

Ι. Μ. Δαμανδρίου
Byzantine Monastery (14th century), dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.

Inside the Katholikon there are amazing hagiographies of Byzantine style and remarkable ecclesiastical objects.

It’s located at a 5km distance from Polichnitos