Built on the top of a pine-tree hill, near the port of Mytilene, it is one of the largest castles of the Mediterranean.

Its construction began during the Byzantine era (483-565 AD), using ancient building material, and was completed in the years of the Genoese Genoese Hegemony (1355-1462). In 1373 a polypyrgos was built – with ramparts and trenches – by the first Gattelusen ruler Francis I ‘.

In 1384 a devastating earthquake destroys the castle and then rebuilds. It is then reinforced by defensive works (new battlements, dykes, cannons) until it was occupied by the Turks in 1462.

Even today, the palace of the Gattelouzes, a square stone tower with a built-in slab, is preserved with distinctly embossed figures, depicting the Gattelouz coat of arms and the representations of the Roman duels.

There is also a plaque on the outer gate with the coat of arms of Palaiologos. During the Ottoman domination, additional work was done and a Turkish Teaching School was built, a building that has survived to this day.

Inside the castle, there are underground arcades, which served as a shelter for the city’s women and children in times of war, as well as a 4,000-kilometer water reservoir. Today it is used as a venue for cultural events during the summer months.

It was built during the Byzantine era in the remnants of ancient, walled walls, in order to deal with the invasions of the Franks and Turks, was completed in 1373 by Genoese Francis A ‘Gatteluzo and further strengthened by the Turks in 1462.

It is a well-constructed Castle, built in red and brown tracks, with solid walls, with inscriptions, coats of arms and other distinctive elements. The space is divided into many levels, while the main entrance made of thick wood, covered with elaborate metal plates, remains an outstanding monument.

It is located on the top of a pine-covered hill and is considered as one of the best-preserved castles of the Eastern Mediterranean. Today it is used as a venue for cultural events.